Amsterdam - Day 1.

April 18, 2013


Road trip to Amsterdam.

I don't ever want to be stuck in a car for 9 hours ever again !

Today was the start of our 4 day road-trip to Amsterdam. I was told that we were going to set off at about 9am, so I woke up at 7am and made sure I was ready for then. In the end, we left at about 10am.
Traffic was smooth sailing all the way to Dover where we were going to take the train through the channel tunnel. It took about 2 hours to get there. The first thing I did when we got there - made a run for the toilet. 


The immigration experience was pretty much the same as when you're heading into JB, nothing special.


Now for the fun part. I've never been in a car and in a train at the same time before. It was my first time, and it was a fun experience. The journey took approximately 40 minutes. 



Once we arrived at France, we drove off. We then continued the what felt like an never ending drive through Belgium and Holland, and guess what ? We got stuck in a jam for hours and hours. My mum said it would about take about 6 hours to get there, but it ended up to be a 9 hours ! It was horrible, I don't ever want to sit through a 9 hour drive ever again !

So anyways, we finally made it to Amsterdam. We got the keys to our apartment and we went up to have a little bit of rest. I know it's ridiculous to complain of tiredness since we weren't driving and pretty much did nothing, but honestly, we were all drained out. 

We set out close to 8pm and headed to Chinatown for dinner. We walked past this back alley, and I somehow fell in love with the view.


We finally made it to Chinatown. Apparently, we walked a big round, but I was just pleased we made it. We were all starving as we didn't have anything solid to eat all day. We settled for Vietnamese cuisine. I was chuffed as I knew I could have my favorite beef pho.









I know, I know. You must be thinking, who the hell goes to a European country and has oriental food ? But somehow, it just happens all the time !

After dinner, we headed back for the apartment. It was freezing cold, and it didn't help that I was wearing a coat meant for Spring. Sigh, if I had known that it would of been this cold, I would have taken my winter coat along. I had so many back in my home in the UK. Oh wells, I just have to suck it up. 

So anyways, here's the night view of a random back alley on the way back.


Ain't it gorgeous ?

And for the last picture of the night, here's the giant and the dwarf !

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.