Day 3 - Penang.

January 09, 2019


I was looking forward to Penang, even from before we got onto the ship. Purely for one reason, and one reason only - My favorite Penang laksa.

Woke up to a beautiful sunrise.


Can life get anymore perfect ?

We arrived at Georgetown, Penang, at about half past 7am.


We went to Windjammer again for breakfast, but today, I went Chinese style. Their steamed egg was surprisingly delish and it goes extremely well with the plain porridge. I tried looking for my favorite pickled radish, but they didn't have any. Instead, they had kimchi, cut green chilli and weird ingredients like that to go with the porridge. How it's supposed to work, I have no idea.


Once again, we just breezed out of the ship. I do have this phobia that I'd lose my seapass though. It basically acts like a passport, so if you lose it, I guess it'll be a right hassle.

Got outside the terminal, and tried looking for our driver. My mother had pre-booked a driver from Klook for today as well as the next 2 days. I guess this way, it's easier then panicking about not being able to get a taxi or getting into some random persons ride.

We were running a little late as we had quite a long walk to the terminal, and so my mother thought he might have left us behind. We waited for about 10 minutes by what we thought was the entrance to the terminal, but there was still no sign of him. I even ran back up to try and see if he had a sign with our names on it or something. My mother then decided to call him and he goes "I'm at the clock tower". Hello ? We've never been there. What clock tower are you talking about ? And the worst thing was, he couldn't even be bothered to explain to us where it was or anything.

So we followed everyone else out and realized that we had to cross one more building to get out. With that sorted, we finally saw the clock tower. But bear in mind, it was chaotic out there, with tons of taxi drivers and taxis. It was near impossible trying to find that one person and one taxi. Without having a choice, my mother had to call him once again, and this time he just gave us his license plate. Like he couldn't even be bothered to come get us. But, we managed to find it in the end and off we went.

We didn't start the day right, but plus point, we had a mini van all to ourselves.

The only thing we were interested in Penang were them murals. We didn't really have any places of interest that we had wanted to go specifically, so we told the driver to just take us where he thought we should go.

Our first surprise stop: Chew jetty.








Second surprise stop: Peranakan museum.


















This was the place where they film The little nonya.

Next up was lunch. The only thing I have been looking forward to, Penang laska.

He took us to this new hawker center where he thought had good Penang laska, but being lucky as I am, it was closed.

He then racked his brains for a bit, and then took us to this small coffee shop. It was a little bit warm, but who cares ? I enjoyed my Penang laska. I really wanted a second bowl, but I didn't want to overeat, especially since I have to get back onto a sailing ship later. The resistance was real.




So remember how I mentioned the only thing we wanted to see were them murals ?

Unfortunately, we only got to see 2 murals.




How bad is that ?

This was not an amazing experience to be honest. In fact, service wise, it was the worst I've ever received.

-lost time because we could not find our driver, who in return could not even be bothered to look for us and try and even give instructions on how to get to him.
-specifically told him our interest in murals, and we've never been, made us get off the minivan and just told us to walk.
-we had about 30 minutes left, but said to us that 30 minutes isn't sufficient to go anywhere and rushed us back to the port.

Uhmmmm, just no.

Bye Penang, someday we'll go back and hunt for them murals ourselves.



So we that unhappy experience over and done with, we went back to our hotel room and was greeted with an pig.


I can only imagine the amount of effort that went into making that pig

So anyways, after resting for a bit, it was dinner time.

Having ate so much at lunch, I wasn't hungry in the slightest.

But we're on holiday. Who cares about dieting ?

Entree: Cream of chicken.


Main: Steak.


Dessert: Peach pancake.


And then I wonder how I've become 44kg. Sigh.

I guess the quote - "I live to eat", was tailor made just for people like me.

Just so you know, they have shows on a daily basis. The earlier one starts at half past 7 and the later one at half past 9. Thing is though, we were told that you had to go at least half an hour earlier to get seats. First off, we couldn't be bothered to rush through dinner just to leg it there, and secondly, my granny didn't seem to keen. She was probably tired from the afternoons that we've been having.

So what does my mum and I do ?

Well, we take walks at the observatory decks to digest our food and just goof around.




If only they had a different movie every night.

I don't understand why they have to keep replaying Venom every night at the same time slot.

Bye Penang.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.