Taiwan 2017 - Day 1.

April 17, 2017
Whenever I go on a holiday, I always like booking the flight going there that arrives in the morning or early afternoon so that you can have a full day and the flight coming home in the evening for the same reason. This way, you can fully optimize your days there.

As I mentioned last night, we had to wake up at 3am to prepare, get to the airport for 5am and our flight was at 7am. I guess it wasn't too bad because we still had a 4h 50min flight to catch up on some sleep.


We arrived at 'Taoyuan airport' as scheduled.

The first thing that we did when we cleared the immigration was to collect our wifi set. We made sure it was working before leaving. I'm not sure if there are better deals out there, but I thought we had a pretty good deal. It cost us just $3 a day ! If you are interested, you can find out more here.

We made our way to our hotel in a taxi and we got there in less than an hour. Unfortunately for us, it was still way too early for check-in, so we left our baggage with the hotel and decided to walk over to 'Ximending' to find us some lunch. I really wanted to have lunch at 'Cocoichibanya', but I know that my grand-mother has never been keen on Japanese curry. She finds it too sweet and so I did not bother suggesting it. We walked around aimlessly, until we stumbled across a ramen shop. Their display items looked rather enticing and so we decided to settle for it.

So here's us whilst waiting for our food.



And here's what we had.




Unfortunately for us, it didn't taste as good as it looked. I was going to order the beef ramen, but seeing as both my mother and grand-mother had already ordered it, I thought I'd go for something else. I went for the fermented rice wine one instead and it was horrible ! That'll teach me not to order funky things ever again.

So I usually have two cups of coffee every morning and I was in dire need of at least one cup and thought I'd get myself a cup from 'Starbucks', but the queue was snaking all the way till the entrance. I wasn't prepared to join it, so I gave it a miss instead.

We walked around for a little bit and finally it was close to 3pm, which is the official check-in time.

For this trip, my mother booked us a nice room at 'Midtown Richardson'. It is conveniently located behind 'Partyworld' and just across the street from 'Ximending'. There are also 2 train station exits there !

Well, check out our lovely room ( and yes, that is my mother photobombing in the background ).



So right after we settled in, my poor grand-mother who was overly knackered, decided to take a nap. My mother and I decided that we'd go shopping as we had nothing else to do. I couldn't possibly take her to some touristy sites without my grand-mother now, could I ?

Sadly, I did not see anything I fancied, so I came back empty handed.

We went back about 4 hours later, only to find my grand-mother still soundly asleep. As mean as it was, we had to wake her up. It wouldn't be nice if my granny overslept in the day and couldn't get to sleep later on in the night now would it ?

Seeing as the weather was great, we decided that we'd go to 'Shilin' night market. We took a train there and alighted at 'Jiantan'. Yes friends, if you want to go to 'Shilin' night market, alight at 'Jiantan' train station !

So we finally made it there.




We didn't spend a lot of time there and neither did we have a lot to eat. I had the intention of shopping but my poor granny complained that she was tired and so we left early.

Well, I guess that about sums up day 1 of our Taipei trip.

Good night friends.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.