HOSHIGAOKA.

November 11, 2013
As a child, my dad used to take me to these 2 restaurants frequently - Hisatomo & Hoshigaoka.

I know for a fact that Hisatomo closed down all their outlets in Singapore quite a few years back. I thought Hoshigaoka closed down as well, but when I flipped through mangosteen and saw a commercial of Hoshigaoka, I was chuffed.

So when my dad came down today, I immediately told him about it. We were both so excited.

We ordered quite a fair bit today.

Whilst waiting for our food, we were just snooping around when we saw the serviettes on the table which shows the list of other restaurants under this company. This meant that Hoshigaoka no longer belonged to a Japanese owner. We then thought to ourselves, "uh-oh". But there was still this glimmer of hope !

One of my favorite dishes is nikujaga. In short, it's a Japanese beef stew. So when I saw it on the menu, I had to order it.


This wasn't too bad I guess, but my mum's nikujaga is way better.

My dad and I love salads, so it's kind of like a must have.


It's sad to sad that I think this is the best dish of the night. ( The salad sauce is ready made ).

My dad was being greedy and order a portion of zaru soba and a ten don.



Now, back in Japan, these 2 dishes are actually quite simple and mainstream, so it was quite shocking that both my dad's dishes turned out to be rather disappointing. We even had to ask for a new tsuyu, because the first one was so diluted that it just tasted like flavored water. As for the tempura, the batter wasn't golden brown, it was just brown and that could only mean that they have been re-using the oil for quite sometime now.

I on the other hand got attracted to the set that came with chawanmushi, miso soup and 5 mini dishes.


This set was expensive. In fact, I would have paid for it with no complains if the food was half decent. Oh wells.

And here's my ice-cream which came with the set.


Overall, we were quite disappointed. The bill was just past a $100 and the food wasn't even 50% of what it used to be.

Well, it looks like we're never patronizing Hoshigaoka ever again.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.